|The Streets of Wittenberg Looking towards All Saints Church|
|The wooden doors where Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses were burned in 1760 and were replaced by bronze doors bearing the Latin text of the theses in 1858.|
|The Schlosskirche, currently in a phase of restoration|
|Streets of Wittenberg|
|Stadtkirche from the side|
|The Stadtkirche faces a wall, about 15 ft away, making it nearly impossible to see the entire face of the building.|
Unlike many other towns in Germany, the city center of Wittenberg was spared during WWII. As the story goes, the Allied forces agreed not to bomb Wittenberg. In actuality, it was an aircraft factory on the outskirts of Wittenberg staffed by political prisoners that the Allies didn't want to bomb. Near the end of the war, American and British planes did bomb the factory.
|Wittenberg City Hall|
|Wittenberg Town Square|
After the war, Wittenberg was occupied by the Soviets and became part of East Germany. It was ruled under the communist regime until the peaceful revolution in 1989. It has been governed democratically since 1990.