Thursday, March 14, 2013
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake with Strawberry Sauce
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake with Strawberry Sauce. That sounds amazing! And... my life group can tell you that it was! Moist, delicious, lemony pound cake with fresh strawberries and a fresh homemade strawberry sauce... and don't forget the lemon glaze! Is your mouth watering? Mine is! Maybe it's just because I know how good this actually was!
Pound cake is traditionally a cake made with one pound of each of four ingredients: flour, butter, eggs and sugar (thanks wikipedia). The original recipe makes a HUGE cake so the recipe is usually pared down quite a bit, but the idea is that the 1:1:1:1 ratio is preserved. Of course, in many cases today, we change the recipe and add extra ingredients... like sour cream and in this case, FRESH LEMON JUICE.
It's also strawberry season. I LOVE strawberries and Florida strawberries are the best! I like to add strawberries to everything that I possibly can... and this cake was perfect for eating with strawberries!!
And I couldn't stop with fresh strawberries... so I also made strawberry sauce! It was a beautiful blend of strawberries and sugar. What could be better?
1 pint fresh strawberries
1/8 cup sugar (for strawberry sauce)
1 1/2 cups sugar (for cake)
1/4-1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1 pinch baking soda
Sour Cream Pound Cake
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour and 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and eggs. Add juice from 1/2 of one lemon.
3. Add flour and pinch of baking soda. Mix well. Pour into loaf pan.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean (from my experience, this cake is ready is slightly less than an hour).
Pour juice from 1/2 of one lemon into a bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the confectioners sugar and mix well. Keep adding sugar until the glaze is the consistency desired. (Note: you will have to stir for a few minutes before the confectioners sugar begins to become incorporated with the lemon).
1. Wash strawberries and cut the tops off (save a few fresh strawberries for garnish).
2. Put strawberries, 1/8 cup of sugar and juice from 1/2 of a lemon in blender and blend well.
3. Pour the mixture into a pot and cook on medium heat until it begins to boil. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.