Saturday, November 16, 2013

German Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies


These decadent German Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies are a perfect addition to my plethora of recipes for chocolate lovers (which happens to include me).  Sometimes I feel bad for making so many amazing desserts and tempting my friends with them.  On one side, I'm a workoutaholic who prefers to have a healthy diet, but on the other side, I love chocolate (and sugar in general).  My personal opinion is that if I have a sugary sweet available to satisfy a craving, I'm less likely to binge on sweets when I just can't take it anymore!  And, I only bake when I know there will be others to share in eating. Moderation is key!


I got this recipe from my mom.  She used to make these when I was a kid.  I asked for the recipe years ago, but this is the first time I've made them.  They are absolutely delicious.  I deviated from the original recipe by using semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the german sweet baking chocolate (because that's what I had on hand).  I think the almond extract makes the brownies.  They wouldn't be the same without it.


Recipe

Ingredients
4 oz. German sweet baking chocolate
5 tbs. butter
3 oz. Cream cheese
3 Eggs
1/2 cup plus 1 tbs. flour
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Almond extract
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Melt chocolate and 3 tbs. butter over very low heat (I actually microwaved the butter and chocolate for about 30 seconds - it won't appear to be melted, but it will be liquid once stirred).  Cool.  

In a mixing bowl, cream remaining butter with cream cheese until softened.  Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, cream until light and fluffy.  Stir in 1 egg, 1 tbs. flour and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until blended.  Set aside.  

Beat remaining eggs until fluffy and light in color.  Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar beating until thickened.  Fold in baking powder, salt and remaining 1/2 cup flour.  Blend in chocolate mixture.  Stir in nuts (optional), almond extract and 1 tsp. vanilla.  Set one cup of brownie batter aside.

Spread remaining chocolate batter in greased and floured 9 inch pan.  Pour cream cheese mixture over top.  Drop measured chocolate batter over top and swirl to marble.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment