Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Felt and Burlap Star Ornament


I haven't put my Christmas tree up yet so I decided to photograph this cute little ornament on our (fake) palm tree!  After all, we do live in South Florida.  Maybe I should just decorate the fake palm tree (probably not, but it's worth a thought). (Edit - I have since put up the Christmas Tree, and I took new photos of the ornament on the Christmas tree.  I deleted the photo taken on the palm).

This ornament was super simple, and it only took a few minutes to make it (good thing because I haven't even had time to make a second one).  Finally, it's Thanksgiving break, and I have time to write this post!

I searched Google and found a basic star pattern here.  I was afraid that it wouldn't be sized the way that I wanted it, but it printed in the perfect size.

I used the pattern to cut a star out of red felt and and a star out of burlap.  I kind of pulled on the edges of the burlap to give it a frayed look.  I placed the burlap star on top of the felt star (in a perfectly imperfect way) and then used my sewing machine to sew them together.  I sewed a piece of thread onto it to make the hanger (I did this part by hand).  I actually would have preferred to use a thin strip of ribbon for the hanger, but I didn't have any.

Edit - I eventually made 6 of these ornaments.  They were easy to make and will also be easy to store!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment